Skip to main content

From the beginning of protests, analysts have held the Egyptian army as the high card in this conflict. The wisdom has held that as goes the army, so goes the fate of the people.

Early signs were encouraging: flowers handed out, citizens and soldiers praying, and finally the Army announcing that they would not fire on citizens.

While it might seem best that an authoritarian regime's army would keep hands off a democracy movement, the reality is that the Egypt's army cannot be passive. Egypt's security force includes regular police, plain clothes police, and a cadre of thugs hired for the overtly political occasions. It's not just the Army that has guns.

It is worrisome that an early announcement by the Army has now seemed to be set aside: specifically, the Egyptian army at first said that they were there to protect the people, but now soldiers on the street have indicated that they have no orders to protect protesters.

How can the Egyptian army be nudged into caring deeply for the fate of democracy protests?

Money.

The tanks on the street of Cairo are M1 Abrams. They were provided by the US, and the soldiers paychecks are directly dependent on US aid.

Generals like expensive toys, so why not threaten to take away next year's batch?

Egypt has a conscript army, so soldiers on the street could likely be sympathetic to the protesters. However, the professional officer corp is perhaps best swayed the consideration of their budget for the year 2012.

Mubarak is 82 and not exactly a swaggering authority figure by military standards. The scene has definitely been set for the Army to publicly announce that their loyalty to the Egyptian people overcomes any loyalty to the political apparatus being rejected by the people.

It doesn't need to be such an obvious gesture however...face can be saved.

Perhaps it's time to announce an "international aid package for the Egyptian people - with delivery coordinated through the Egyptian army or appropriate parties".  We're talking food drops into the heart of the city - manna for protesters.  With the Egyptian army actively participating in the delivery, the message will be clear that they are supporting the protesters. Mubarak will finally get the message.

Whatever word form it takes, the message must be clear: it's either democracy or no more toys. 1.3 billion does buy a lot of goodwill.  And if it doesn't, all the more reason to withdraw it.

The US needs to precipitate things...as the chief rainmaker, Obama must make the Egyptian army look to him as a modern day 'bringer of chariots'.

Originally posted to BOknows on Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 11:26 PM PST.

Poll

Should Obama announce that future aid will only be discussed with a democratically elected government?

78%26 votes
21%7 votes

| 33 votes | Vote | Results

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  Tip Jar (3+ / 5-)

To DailyKos I'm a troll, Naderite, right wing conservative. Fortunately, I like dissent...just shake, stir and relax.

by BOknows on Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 11:26:20 PM PST

•  Your artificial premise blows, you know (6+ / 0-)

framing isn't just an art, it's a crime!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

by trashablanca on Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 11:31:34 PM PST

•  What's up with the single line opinions? (0+ / 0-)

In previous days blogs, I've yet to see a analysis which would refute my arguments as strongly as the simplistic comments would indicate.

Am I an idiot?  No. Well, at least I can put together a multi-part argument rather than a simplistic 'you wrong'.  Or maybe I'm not just part of the 'group think' so I can't know all the thoughts that accompany a 3 word opinion.

In any event, perhaps all the cries of "you're wrong" ought to be met by the following response:

"I fart in your general direction".

by BOknows on Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 11:40:53 PM PST

•  Not entering into the fray except for this (3+ / 0-)

We're talking food drops into the heart of the city - manna for protesters.

Now, just imagine that scenario for a second or two or three in terms of dropping into "the heart of the city."

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. (Niels Bohr)

by begone on Wed Feb 02, 2011 at 11:47:15 PM PST

•  Helicopter hovers...food kicked out of door (0+ / 0-)

See we gave the Egyptian army some UH-60 blackhawks.

Generals like using toys.  Why send a truck when a helicopter looks so much nicer on TV?

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:04:00 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  You are a fool (0+ / 0-)

First of all, part of the military hardware we send to Egypt includes F-16s and the training of the pilots to shoot down other aircraft. Not to mention SAM missiles, that shoot down helicopters like toys.
        Secondly, invading a sovereign country's airspace is a BIG NO NO.
        Are you trying to start another war?

How come the dove gets to be the peace symbol? How about the pillow? It has more feathers than the dove and doesn't have that dangerous beak. Jack Handey

by skohayes on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 06:50:13 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  "We gave UH60 helicopters to Egypt"... (0+ / 0-)

...thus implying that it's Egyptian helicopters.

More so, the blog above specifically states that "international aid package for the Egyptian people - with delivery coordinated through the Egyptian army".

What part of the blog in any way implies US troops?  Furthermore, an earlier blog states that I believed it to be mistaken to send 12 combat troops to reinforce the US embassy.

Fool?

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 07:59:00 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  These people are not protesting (0+ / 0-)

about lack of food. The military is already protecting the anti-Mubarak protestors. Food drops imply that for some reason the protestors cannot just return to their homes and cook something for dinner.
            Honestly, you act as if Egypt is some third world country.

by skohayes on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:30:50 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Egypt was hungry before the protests... (0+ / 0-)

...one of the primary issues was actually food subsidies.

So hunger existed before the protests disrupted the economy, including food distribution.

Egyptians don't have stocked larders with a few weeks of canned food.

Honestly, you act as if Egypt is some third world country

You're right, I do think they would have a problem just popping in for a bite to eat.

Egypt is classified as a 'developing' ('third world') or 'barely emerging' country.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:43:47 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Disagreements are not donut-worthy (2+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Euroliberal, JesseCW

That means you, trashablanca and m4gill4.
    Ad hominem comments are donut-worthy, by the way.

"All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats" - Groucho Marx

by GrumpyOldGeek on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:02:40 AM PST

•  "Disabling tip jar?" (2+ / 0-)

Hahahaha no.

That's not how it works.

It's very much able right now.  See, I can drop donuts into it just fine.

Learn how the site works.

I finally put in a signature!

by Boris Godunov on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:08:29 AM PST

•  Hahaha...Boris the committee member too? (0+ / 0-)

Boris.  You are one of the chosen ones?

I can only imagine the kind of life you must live.

Can I reference your comment?  I'll attribute it to "a high-ranking Daily Kos member"...that will impress everyone.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:23:18 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Your tip jar isn't disabled. It's hidden (5+ / 0-)

like cat poop. Waste gets buried. Capice?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

by trashablanca on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:12:39 AM PST

•  So you're part of the committee? (0+ / 0-)

Capice?  No.

I don't understand.  What purpose does hiding the readers Tip Jar serve other than give some petty and false sense of control?

Wait...I'm getting a glimmer of capice now.

Is it this:  why try make a superior argument when you can just 'hide the tip jar'?

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:20:07 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  When a comment (2+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        kalmoth, second gen

is hidden it serves several purposes, mainly:

1). Non-trusted users can't see hidden comments, in the case of a tip jar the fact that it's hidden shows casual readers of the site that the community at large doesn't want to be affiliated with the diary.

2). Diarists who have frequent tip jars in the hiddens, will probably attract Meteor Blades (meteor blades is head moderator) attention, and, depending on what Meteor Blades thinks, they may be suspended or even banned.

Your tip jar is not currently hidden.

A comment needs 3 HR's for every one Rec, your tip jar is at 2+/4-, it needs two more HR's to be hidden.

IMO you will be banned fairly soon if you continue down your current path, not for your diaries, but for your obnoxious/rude comments, even to people on your side.

If you want to stick around try not to be such an asshole.

The truth is in the text----not the tags. by edscan on Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 09:24:06AM PST

by Dom9000 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 05:35:37 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I'm the asshole? (0+ / 0-)

I write a legitimate blog, get attacked, and then when I defend myself I'm called an asshole?

I was called an 'idiot', told that my blog is 'worthy of wiping one's ass'...and when I respond to those comments I'm 'offensive'?

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:05:02 AM PST

•  Lol, (0+ / 0-)

You so funny. ;-) I only ever catch sight of you when I get up a little mojo and cross the tracks. (Yah, ai still flirtin' witcha.) (Hai.)

God bless our tinfoil hearts.

by aitchdee on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:33:03 AM PST

•  Hi again! (0+ / 0-)

before I go to bed.

The thing is, some of what you say write (the sensible, or at least arguable part) is already written day-in, day-out here on the Middle East Protest blogs

Have you been there?

by begone on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:36:07 AM PST

•  You mean like this? (0+ / 0-)

President Obama has made a speech praising the Egyptian military for their non-interference and peacekeeping role and the Egyptian people for protecting their cultural heritage.

I can't say I'd agree.  This blog is contrary to the mothership opinion.

I don't want to be a thorn in the side there.  I'll leave them to their thing.

Plus, I want to keep my blog in one piece. It's interesting to see where my political thoughts have went over the years.

I really don't understand why there's so much ill will towards my blog.  I don't expect everyone to agree, but there's a vociferous reaction that is a little bit unhealthy in my opinion.

Wierd.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:53:28 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  It's the unworkable stuff, the miraculous (3+ / 0-)

solution stuff, the focus on Obama, from your last(?) diary about his Muslim name to this one:

Plus, there are many opinions in the liveblog comments and child diaries.

Obama's a "rainmaker" and must be a "bringer of chariots."

He's not actually Charlton Heston in The Ten Commandments or Ben Hur, you know.

by begone on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:06:53 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I focus on Obama because he's the 1 person... (0+ / 0-)

...that can change US foreign policy with a phone call.

Obama calls Hillary, Obama has a press conference, Obama makes history.

And time is running short.  The world does watch what he does more so than any other Western leader.

I elected Obama to change things.  So focus on him I will.  And if that focus involves an attempt at creative writing then so be it. If diplomats were a little more imaginative then we wouldn't have been surprised by the demonstrations.  And maybe the chariot wheels wouldn't be falling off the decrepit wagon we call 'foreign policy'.

As to my miracle....giving aid only to democracies is not a miraculous solution, it's just a 'big bang' start that will finish off Mubarak and maybe a few other dictators.  Also, it might just actually be something that wouldn't sound like it came from a script.

See here's the rub:  I have a big problem with my tax dollars beings used to kill democracy activists. If people feel Obama should be protected from that kind of sentiment then continue hiding tipjars and giving me the finger.

The opposite of my desired goal (ie democracy aid only) is to continue giving money to authoritarian regimes.  Do you think that's more genius than my 'idiotic' suggestion?

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:22:22 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  No one can change foreign policy with a phone! (4+ / 0-)

No one.

Not even Obama.

No one.

This isn't a Maxwell Smart world we have going on here right now.

It would be swell if that were so, in some ways, but it isn't.

by begone on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:35:43 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Ok..we're powerless to change... (0+ / 0-)

...that's what Obama ran on?

No, we can't?

I'll disagree.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:50:30 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  With. A. Phone. (1+ / 0-)
                Recommended by:
                kalmoth

is what I meant. But you know that.

Anyway, because every time I see your user name I think of Bo Obama (the first doggie--and I don't mean this as a dis, honestly), I went into my photobucket account to find a pic of fluffy Bo and instead found a great photo of my daughter, whose b'day it is tomorrow.

So whatever you're doing here, thanks for leading me to that.

by begone on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:59:06 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Obama doesn't need to announce anything (0+ / 0-)

Obama could simply announce 'No more aid to non-democratic countries'.

However, he could accomplish the same thing by simply doing nothing.

Here's why:  The president must explicitly ask for foreign aid appropriations from Congress.

So how could he not change what he asks for?

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:52:34 AM PST

•  LOL! (0+ / 0-)

You didn't vote for Obama. GMAFB.
            The thought that the US can sweep into a sovereign country and just do what they want to change things went out with the disaster known as the Iraq war (or, OIL- Operation Iraq Liberation).
            Go start a war somewhere else, neocon.

by skohayes on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 07:01:42 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Do you say that I endorse an 'invasion'? (0+ / 0-)

I was worried about sending 12 marines.  See my blog at:  Time to send in the Marines?

Furthermore, how is questioning giving military support to a dictatorship consistent with your conclusion that I favor military solutions for the Middle East?

You have invented a criticism as an extension of the ill will generated by the DKos 'Defenders of Obama in All Things' brigade.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:10:33 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Obama has nothing to do with (1+ / 0-)
                Recommended by:
                kalmoth

my criticism of your diary.
                Your proposal to go in with helicopters to do food drops completely ignores the reality that the protestors aren't starving or under seige, and that there is still a very capable functioning government in place, along with a well armed and trained military.
                As for that other silly diary, Marines have defended our embassies in almost every foreign nation for over 100 years. They are trained in combat and with several different weapons (at their dispoal) to protect our embassy personnel.
                You should really educate yourself about these things before posting on this blog (by the way, Daily Kos is a blog, you write diaries). You come off looking ignorant.

by skohayes on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:23:14 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Recrafting your argument... (0+ / 0-)

...food is already a major issue in Cairo.  Don't accuse me of being ignorant if you can't discover that fact.

...democracy protesters not under seige?  What do barricades suggest to you?

...so now you're a defender of sending combat troops to Egypt?  Note that a FAST team is significantly different than Marine Embassy guards - hence the designation as 'combat team'. Who's more the neocon now?

Your original posts accused me of wanting to invade.  In the interest of clarity and fairness, are you withdrawing that suggestion?

You can accuse me of being foolish, but not a warmonger.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:30:29 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I am nor going to hr you (7+ / 0-)

as nothing in this diary strikes me as particularly hr'able..but just know your "Barack Obama's name sounds muslim so he should be doing more in Egypt" diary kinda makes it hard to take you seriously...

Keep your objectivity: masturbate early and often!

by rexymeteorite on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 12:49:34 AM PST

•  "sounds arabic" is not 'muslim' (0+ / 0-)

As to the tip jar, my peeve is that someone would hide the thing and thereby prevent someone else from stating their opinion.

I could care less what my ranking is but suppressing opinions is not what an progressive blog should be about.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:02:22 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  generally hide ratings are not about "rank" (2+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        Dom9000, GrumpyOldGeek

they are to hide posts from the general community that are unnecessarily inflammatory or egregiously offensive. As to why your TJ was at first hidden, if I were to venture a guess, it would probably be your user history. You have been hidden in the past, and people just figured that you were a "troll" hr'd and moved on.

Personally I don't agree with the hides, and I am assuming you are here in good faith, thats why you don't see an hr from me.

Keep your objectivity: masturbate early and often!

by rexymeteorite on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:09:07 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Group think on the 'hides'? Whodda thunk... (0+ / 0-)

Thanks for the insight.

Good faith?  Well, I do have an opinion that I would like to see considered.  I like reading good retorts but they are very, very rare because it takes far less time to simply hide a tipjar and flame the author than actually write a serious reply.

At the very least, I try make it easy for people to express different opinions in a poll.  For example, this same poll question is what I consider to be a 'tracking poll'. However, I've explored the basic question from different angles.  Interesting to see how sentiment shifts...or doesn't.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:36:57 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  well...as I said its a history thing, man (0+ / 0-)

(or woman)...

Just do this...wait a few weeks and then come back and post a diary and see where that gets you. You'll probably get the kind of comments you are looking for.

Usually dustups like this clear up if you're willing to give it a little time

Keep your objectivity: masturbate early and often!

by rexymeteorite on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:43:48 AM PST

•  But see... (0+ / 0-)

...I want Obama to change his tune before it's too late.

And a few weeks would be too late.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:51:51 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  psst... rexy, take a look at the sig line... (2+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          kalmoth, skohayes

that'll give you a hint as to why the donuts.

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 05:43:01 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I was called a 'neocon' in response to this diary (0+ / 0-)

Yesterday I questioned whether we should send 12 'combat' marines and got this:

...at the embassy, right? Marines are who guard embassies. If they need more security at an embassy, they send more Marines.

Why are you trying to stir up shit?

Today it's this:

Go start a war somewhere else, neocon.

As well, I'm generally being accused of being a 'hopeless progressive'.

My signature line is reflective of the fact that a certain segment of DKos refuses to look past the most specious of arguments.  I am routinely accused of being a troll for Republicans and progressives, often in the comments for the same blog.

So who at Dkos is right?

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:19:38 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  to elaborate... (2+ / 0-)

Превед embed!

•  Thank goodness for blocking flash plugins (0+ / 0-)

I just see a puzzle piece icon...but it's only a single piece

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:03:56 AM PST

•  Enjoyed (3+ / 0-)

printing out
    using as toilet paper.

Interesting diary history.  PUMA?

•  Worked for the campaign so hardly a PUMA (0+ / 0-)

Disenchanted?

I would say yes, but that would mean at one time I was 'enchanted'. I thought I was seeing with clear eyes.

Maybe what happened was that I saw political sausage being made.

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 01:36:26 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  "Worked for the campaign".... (2+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        kalmoth, skohayes

hahaha, that's what they always say...

Sarah Palin releases video decrying media for attributing violence to her as unfair and misplaced. Muslims all over the world Tweet: "LOL"

by second gen on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 06:35:00 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Haha? What's so funny about that comment... (0+ / 0-)

...much less original or constructive enough to warrant a couple recommends?

More so, you have absolutely no standing to question my statement about working for the campaign - much less make snarky comments about the same.

Listen, if you want to agree to reveal real identities and talk face to face then I would certainly agree.

If we were face to face, would you stand up for your comments as well as the comments of people who recommend your comment?

I think two things have happened:

1.  The internet and anonymity makes people like you bold
          1.  You realize that you can be popular with a certain crowd (and get their recommends) if you say something negative about me personally.

Proud of yourself?

by BOknows on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 08:24:52 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Ah, vague threats couched in faux civility. (0+ / 0-)

Moreover, I'm pretty sure I'd laugh in your face in real life, much less on the internet. Also.

by second gen on Thu Feb 03, 2011 at 09:10:37 AM PST

[ Parent ]

•  The Egyptian military is very clever (0+ / 0-)

They have been in power since 1952. They are not about to go anywhere.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site